by Steve Dudley
NOW AVAILABLE (FROM 31/07/09).
See it at the Birdfair 21-23 Aug.
Announcing a completely new site guide to the hugely popular Aegean island of Lesvos.
Lesvos offers some of the best birding in the Mediterranean basin. For four weeks each spring birders from across Europe converge on this outpost of Europe which lies just 5 miles off Turkey and Asia Minor. The birds are a blend of Mediterranean breeding species, migrants moving through to breed in eastern Europe and Asia Minor species such as Krüper’s Nuthatch (and probably the easiest place to see this species in the Western Palearctic).
The guide has been written by Steve Dudley, one of the island's most experienced bird and wildlife guides who has probably taken more groups around, and spent more time on the island than any other bird guide. Steve is also the man behind LESVOSBIRDING.COM - the only dedicated birding website to the island - which continues to provide visiting birders with up to date information including 'what's been seen today' daily summaries during the main spring birding weeks. Steve is also a founding member of the Lesvos Bird Records Committee.
Steve now shares his vast knowledge of the island with this new birding guide to Lesvos which includes -
- 272 pages
- a 47 page introduction includes details of when to go, where to stay, recommended places to eat, the birding year, etc.
- a detailed guide to over 60 of the best birding areas/sites across the island including over 45 specially commissioned maps by renowned magazine illustrator Steven Hall.
- 32 pages (over 90 images) of colour photos of sites, habitats and species
- a 39 page checklist to the birds of Lesvos - completely up to date (up to and inc. spring 2009) detailing the status of every species officially recorded on the island
- separate tick lists for birds, butterflies, dragonflies and orchids
- plus appendices detailing island place names and pronunciations, bird lists in Greek and Dutch
- cover and numerous black-and-white line illustrations by renowned bird illustrator Dave Nurney (artist for A Pocket guide to the birds of Britain and NW Europe, Nightjars of the World and Woodpeckers of the World)
A Birdwatching Guide to Lesvos is to be published by Arlequin Press and is the first of the revamped 'birdwatching guide' series to be published since CJ Wildbird Foods acquired Arlequin Press.
Price - only £19.99!
Orders via Subbuteo Books. Sample pages below.
Area page for the Kalloni area
Individual site map page for the North Coast between Efthalou and Skala Sikaminias
Individual site page for Korakas Headland
Individual site page for Sideras nr Agra