Spring 2010 daily updates

As in recent years I will post daily updates of what is seen across the island each evening here on Lesvos Birding. I know many staying on the island, and more so those due to come out, find these updates both interesting and very useful.

My own daily updates from the island will commence on 20 Apr (through to 12 May), but I rely on people passing on their own sightings to produce the daily summaries. I aim to have the website updated between 11-12pm each evening (local time). If you are on the island earlier or later than me, then I need your records all the more!

Last year quite a lot of folk contributed to these updates. If you're on the island then you can provide your own records of more interesting sightings as follows -

LESVOS BIRDING LOG at the Hotel Pasiphae, Skala Kallonis
This is the main birding log on the island and anyone can call into the hotel to read/record their sightings and maybe enjoy a drink too! Please inc. your name and email address or mobile number on at least one of your entries in order for me to contact you if I need to.

Everything passed on to me during the day will be added to log.

I (and other birders) should be around the Hotel Pasiphae bar most evenings from around 10-10.30pm to c.11.30pm for a drink and chat. Failing that I can usually be found at the Dionysos
taverna in Skala Kallonis between 8-10pm.

SMS/TEXT
Text me your daily summary on +44 (0) 7 767 787 287. Please inc. your name at the end of the message. Species, numbers, location is really all that is needed. Times for really rare species (e.g. time of a flyover rare raptor helps to track birds across the island) might be useful (please no calls as this just costs me a fortune!).

EMAIL
You can email me your sightings. I'll be updating late evening, so anything arriving in my inbox by 10pm local time will be used.

What info should you include?
Records of all the scarcer and rare species (see
checklist), movements of any raptors or herons, large numbers of crakes, large falls of commoner species, etc. are all wanted. Updates on breeding activity of Krupers Nuthatch are also helpful.

Submitting your records for the annual bird report when you've returned home
I know many people keep their own database of records. If you are able to export to an Excel file, then I'm happy to receive any records you want to pass on for inclusion in the Lesvos annual bird report. For further details see here.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Back to
homepage.